Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pride in Nothing

Pride in Nothing

Pride? Being proud is a problem I have been able to escape. I'm humble. And I will prove it to you.

My life has been, for the most part, a journey into simplicity. I enjoy the small things in life; The sound of waves lapping against the shore of a lake. Birds singing in the trees. Squirrels scampering from limb to limb.

Butterflies flittering through a flowerbed.

I take great pleasure in a simple bike ride - even in the rain. I enjoy walking along the sea shore, and talking with friends.

The van I drive (rarely) is over 36 years old. When I purchase anything, I seek as much quality as I can get at the lowest end of the financial scale.

My clothes are very simple and bought as cheaply as possible, and usually on sale.

What little I have I feel is too much, and I try to reduce what I have to what I can carry in my van.

I am the happiest when I have little, and strive to possess nothing.

I think you get the picture.... I am a very simple man of simple pleasures and interests. I possess and desire little, and strive for less, in fact, I strive for nothing. These qualities in myself I value highly.

In fact, I take great pride in them....

Did I just say "pride?" I guess I did.

How about that. I guess, when I get right down to it, I am not only not humble, but very prideful as well.

And very proud of nothing at that!

Tumbleweed